Monday 31 December 2012

Losing bounce.


In high school I played volleyball. Our team was good, though I wasn’t any good at setting or spiking. (I spiked us out of bounds to end our BC Provincial Championship run during the semi-finals.)

Since Grade 6, OTOH, I'd been great at the Bump (my coach called it the "McGovern Flick"; a carefully controlled reception of the ball coming from any direction, sent to our setter for someone else to spike).

And I was particularly good at serving. Those tennis lessons in short white skirts and frilly white underwear had paid off in my overhead volleyball serve which almost always glanced over the net before curving unexpectedly, leaving the other team's defense scrambling, usually unsuccessfully, to return the ball. Games could march on, one trickster serve after another, until I hit the net.

After 10 or so years without, I took up playing "recreational" volleyball with some friends. They hadn't been volleyball players but were super competitive sports people (even at croquet!) so expectations were high. But I'd lost my serve. No matter how hard I tried: to concentrate, to not think, to rediscover the zone; I never did.

At the time, losing my volleyball serve seemed like such a big deal.

Saint Louis du Senegal is a small city but with a rich cultural heritage. Nov. 29th to Dec. 1st was no exception with the Festival Métissons - a hybridization of French and African, white and black, music. 

The opening night concert was by far the closest one gets to diversity in this society:
- a dapper older white man in burnt sienna linen jacket and avocado pants, photographing the scene while remaining a part of it;
- intervals of older Senegalese men owning the dance floor;
- loads of local Boytown hipsters (check-down pants off their butts) and even some girls (besides the usual white-man hunting lycra-dressed young ladies);
- three white girls with their hair in prim buns: American visiting University students, straight from the Bible Belt chattering in American with Peace Corp volunteers (with their enviable fluency in local languages);
- a clique of resident parents with their stunning mixed race kids;
- dreads and traditional tresses checkered on black and white heads;
- a couple of French Cougars, each with her mari d'hiver
- a middle aged Senegalese woman in traditional "wax" print cotton boubou smoking a cigarette (a true indicator of an exceptionally liberal vibe);
- a Belgian girl who seems gloriously happy every time I see her at a concert;
- a class of restless Choir boys on stage; Koranic school talibés at the curb, waiting...


The following night, the Senegalese group Takeifa (rising stars of African music scene, with their family harmonies, swingable, jumpable beats, and intelligent lyrics in Wolof, French and English) took the stage.

For the first time in 8 years here I can say that the sound system was not loud enough and had too much bass. Like Senegalese TV watching, people talked over the music. The place to be present was the dance floor.

It is well known that dance is central in African cultures: social, symbolic, ceremonial, mystic, healing, joyful. I'd always loved to dance. Years of ballet and contemporary dance lesson paid off, with or without the pink toutous.

In my Montreal party days I could dance for hours, euphoric; my own little planet in a constellation of beautiful, sexy energy. Our orbits were led by DJs like Andy Williams (not the old guy of my parents' days) 'til dawn.

That night only my imaginary dancer moved. It was all I could do to lift my wine glass without splashing. The joy of blending myself to kindred spirits lost.

And I'd thought losing volleyball was hard...

There are times when I am brave and make the best of much altered circumstances. But it is not easy and doesn't always work. Little by little this disease removes bits and pieces of my identity: some big, some small, some to be replaced by other, new pieces, others lost forever and ever.

As visions of volleyball and dance tumbled (nearly on tempo) around in my head, my husband turned to me and said: "For once you're not complaining". In his defence he was tired, not his usual supportive self, exaggerating with his "for once".

And we used to be able to read each other’s minds...

***

Then the last night, we went to 2 fantastic festival concerts (with Metzo Djatah and Wato). Neither was really dance music so at moments, without the nostalgic expectation to dance, I was able to release my grip, allowing my tremor to oscillate with the beat.

It wasn't so hard after all.