Saturday 18 April 2015

“I Couldn’t Stand All That Happiness”

My mother and her best friend (see: frozen wild-berry Whistler) had a gentleman friend (circa 1950s) who when asked why he never married, would inevitably reply: “I Couldn’t Stand All That Happiness”. Too much happiness? Over the years the ladies used his quip in many other contexts, laughing conspiratorially, never explaining. I surmised that it was because he was homosexual which in the 1950s was a hard identity to own (think Rock Hudson, Liberace, Alan Turing).



My cat loves extremes: sleeping or eating (with occasional wild moments of folly!) Her world view lacks shades of grey: newly shampoo-perfumed hair is equally fragrant to her as is 5 day dirty hair. It is the intensity of the aroma that interests my cat: the extremes.

Though I washed my hair more regularly than that, I too once thrived on extremes: inwardly plunged solo creation equilibrated by unleashed communal participation.

Now, however, there can truly be what I’d call too much happiness. My nervous system can no longer accommodate towering excitement, any more than it can accommodate rabid stress.

In other words: I no longer thrive on extremes!

With Parkinson’s I Can’t Stand All That Happiness!

Just the other day I achieved the ideal balance of objective, creation, and outcome. A friend had asked me for a short texted story (on the fly, as in tout de suite!) to serve as a distraction during a boring meeting. It proved to be so distracting that my friend was only able to finish reading it after the meeting was over…



Upon hearing this, I was Perfectly Happy.