Thursday 16 March 2017

catsaway in Hospital with Parkinson’s: VGH Neurology Ward Jan. Xth – Feb. Yth, 2016

My 1st admittance: Jan 2016. VGH Neurology. 19 days

Admitted due to abdominal cramping with sufficient frequency to interfere with independent living (ie not always being able to get out of bed on my own). 19 days for intermittent constipation!

The night of my 1st admittance -  after the old-hippy Porter, in her faux Zonda Nellis garb, had wheeled my gurney from the ER: through the hospital’s in the dead of night labyrinth; up elevators emptied of urgency; mounting floors of which I lost count as she told me she has been doing this job for 37 years going home after each night shift to raise her 3 kids -  after she had passed me off to two nurses on the Neurological Ward, still prone, I was delivered through a sporadically lit Souk of curtained bed stalls. Our passage wove its way deep into the furthest nook of the irregular polygonal room. As each passed curtain drafted, patients stirred and shivered on railed-in hospital beds, swaddled in steamed Mother Teresa-blue lined on white-sari flannel sheets.

It was 2am by the time the IV saline had dripped me to sleep.

My first neighbour was an elderly British-born, Oak Bay Victoria-residing, retired professor of some obscure high tech specialized domain: something high tech and specialized to do with crystals. Throughout the day we enjoyed a polite discourse on various subjects suitable to our circumstances.

Under night’s covers, his nurse inserted a catheter tube up his urethra. His groans of (one would assume) pain were exactly what one would assume were groans of erotic pleasure.

Unexpectedly aroused by the phlegmish tumescence of an 80+ year old man, I slipped into vivid dreams of erotic highlights of my own…

Next morning, he was gone.

And I was moved.                                                        
                                    
After one night alone in my new semi-private curtain–delimited territory, my new neighbour arrived, after midnight, in a haze of burlesque. Marilyn: who, with her whisky-gravelled voice, tottering high heeled swagger, and dishevelled glam contour (without glasses with which to pierce the ambience of her entrance, my eyes grasped but a few precise details) Marilyn was, I surmised, transgender or in drag.

After a restless raucous night demanding her bottle (apparently lost along with one high-heeled stiletto) she simmered down to kitteny whimpers begging breathlessly for someone’s aid… after a while, I began ringing the nurse call bell for Marilyn (who, I had realized by then, was in fact a woman).

The Acute Neurology Ward was not her place: in the morning she was gone.

After Marilyn, an elderly Asian lady, spoon-cocooned in a Patient Ceiling Lift Sling, was finely draped onto the bed in the other half of our semi—private room.

Draped from her antiquated ivory, crucified-Jesus crossed feet, her archer-bow calves unfurled drawing out her long since sexless entrejambes.

Her pelvis cradle swayed wafted settled;

Her arms: with hands mudra-stilled in the gowned, nearly-bald nest of her lap; parentheses of her supine self.

Until finally her seahorse spine (hinged to the skull encasing her neurologically compromised brain) unfurled to plunk her head on the hard-stuffed vinyl pillow with its coarse fabric, yellow pillow slip…

Her family sat in muted vigil over the mama who would soon depart: Parkinson’s, Dementia, and finally, a Stroke would carry off her venerable being. In their silence, the daughter: gracious, reverent and too damned apologetic; praised my forbearance amidst their soundless cacophony of grief.

We would meet again, that Daughter and I. And her past beauty of spirit would constrain my righteous anger at a mismanaged Hospital Discharge Plan and her role, as a hospital employee, in its maladministration. (I would come to learn that such plans imposed upon me by hospital teams of expert social workers were never what I needed: either the team didn’t allow for my greater knowledge of my own apartment and the particularities and restrictions of its management or else we all failed to recognize my hesitation to return home as fear of returning to what had become a highly unstable, threatening, traumatizing space; refuge from which, for a time, could only be found in hospital. Eventually, inevitably, the hospital would become another site of threat and neglect, abandonment and loss…