Wednesday 18 July 2018

catsaway in Hospital with Parkinson’s (again)
VGH March 24 - April 20, 2016


Well I was… home now, where I am regaining my equilibrium (sort of) after a third-world-tarmac landing: floridly bruised knees, non-concussed wall-banged head. I am resuming my connectedness to the digital world (after the barest of Internet for 19 + 27 days)

The night I was admitted for a second time (March 24, 2016), after the emptying of an agonizing bladder-bursting litre of retained urine, and a second litre from a subsequent catheter ordered by the Doctor (the ER nurse had called me manipulative for having begged for the 2nd release) lying in frozen sweat, my t-shirt plastered to my body, I instructed* the ER care workers to just cut it off. I insisted it wasn’t worth the effort to do otherwise… it was a plain white cotton t-shirt, 21 of which I would come to own by the end of my 2nd admittance (having quickly learned to reject the convenience of their tender underarm grating polyester, naked butt exposing hospital gowns, as I had previously learned to reject the seduction of their heated flannel sheets: a few minutes of steamy bliss rapidly descending into hours of clammy sweating in the frozen AC air).
                                                                               
*I would learn, eventually, that even polite and respectful instruction as how best to meet my specific pragmatic, not obviously-medical needs, was more often than not, unwelcome and resented by most hospital staff. For pain I needed warmth and mobility not drugs. And western Hospital treatment excludes (mostly) the Touchy Feely. I would experience one truly extraordinary exception to that rule …

Though the ER care worker cut off the t-shirt with neither argument nor resentment, the Higher-Ups would later discharge me, declaring me “a poor candidate for in-patient care, ill-suited for any Parkinson’s rehab program as I lacked goals and determiniation”! And this for the crime of having made suggestions and asked questions about how my return home would be prepared for – plus, perhaps, a few harmless eccentricities which I’ll get to later…(hint: think overhead-spot-lit in the otherwise-dark-ward topless, floppy-adult-diaper clad middle of the night post pee celebrations of the joy of release from the frozen rigid immobility imposed by the freezing AC – not Parkinson’s “freezing”, as my current super-hero community nurse advised me to distinguish).