Sunday 29 March 2015

PD and Impulse control (Part 3): The ER and the Blackberry Thieves

Vancouver August 2009


Two days after AK and I had fêted our mutual Leo birthday, I noticed that my mother didn't seem well. 

Against her nearly breathless objections, I called a taxi to take her to her doctor. She’d been suffering from COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) for several years and I was concerned.

I saw the taxi pull up in front of the house. No one except guests use the front door; we didn't even have a key to lock it from outside!

I walked down the stairs and along the path to the sidewalk from where I asked the taxi driver to wait a few minutes.

Meanwhile, my mother was just finishing applying her lipstick, having already changed into a nice dress, matching jacket and appropriate pumps. (Nylons? I don’t remember)

I called her impatiently from the sidewalk, turned to smile at the driver, hoping for more patience.

I turned back just in time to see my mother walking towards me. Front door ajar:  she was walking straight towards me. But the path curves left, goes down 2 stairs, turns right then down 4 stairs, before arriving at the sidewalk. She was headed for a 4 foot drop. I ran.

In his best “don’t make the family panic” voice, her doctor sent us straight to the ER (flagged: deal with this patient immediately).

It took 4 skill-levels of ER personal to get her intubated.

I sat quietly in the corner, not praying, (as I have no one to pray to) but sending as much positive energy as I could.

She would never forgive me if she died there, at the hospital, instead of at her home of 50 years.

She was admitted into to ICU with bi-lateral pneumonia and an uncertain prognosis.

AK arrived and, before going home, we went to Earl’s where I ate a greater-than-half-a-day’s calorie intake Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad.

In the lane from the bus stop to the house, an equally well dressed and lip-sticked neighbour I’d never met was accompanying her 5 or 6 year old blond granddaughter. Bucket in hand, she was picking our blackberries where they protruded through the fence into the lane.

I don’t recall my Self Righteous Speech about Private Property.

But I do recall the look on the little girl’s face as I plunged my hand into her bucket of our blackberries declaring: “I’m collecting taxes on the berries”. 

I then walked straight into the house by the backdoor.


(Personally, and upon reflection, it is possible that my blackberry-taxing might have been provoked by fear and shock at what had just happened to my mother, rather than PD-induced Impulse Control deficiency. 2009 – those were early days: I was still waiting for my official, conclusive diagnosis which would come soon enough in the worst of weeks…)